5th Wheel Slick Plate
THE SLICK PLATE
- The non-stick polymer surface eliminates the need to grease the 5th wheel plate.
- Minimizer Slick Plate protects the top of the fifth wheel plate from wear and tear.
- Kits come complete with pre-drilled ultra composite plates, ram bars and all necessary mounting hardware.
- Minimizer Slick Plate carries a 5 year warranty.
- Many makes and models available including: Holland, Fontaine, Jost, ASF Simplex, Reese, and Robin Industries.
WHICH MODEL FITS YOUR EQUIPMENT?
- It depends on the dimensions of your 5th wheel plate.
- Download the chart to find your part number(s).
- Slick Plate Models
|Holland||FW3500 & FW2535||32.5”||37”||100065|
|Holland||FWAL, FW31, FW33||22.25”||16.25”||102916|
|Fonraine||6000 (No Slack II)||30”||35”||100079|
|Fontaine||5092 (No Slack I)||32”||35.5”||100081|
|Rese||18K, 20K & 25K||15.5”||19”||100100|
|RV 5th Weel||Fits Most Models||15”||11.5”||100165|
Insert-Style Slick Plate
Hate grease? Who doesn’t? Minimizer’s newest On the Truck product – the Insert-Style Slick Plate – eliminates the need to grease your fifth wheel. Easy, clean and less work – that’s what Minimizer’s Insert-Style Slick Plate is all about!
Minimizer founder Dick Kruckeberg and his son Craig used to hate greasing their fifth wheel – got out the grease gun and sprayed his fifth wheel until it was a blob of black goo. And Craig knew that when Dick got home, it was his job to clean up the grease. If only Minimizer’s Insert-Style Slick Plate was around then!
Installation is a breeze, and the Insert-Style Slick Plate kit comes with all necessary mounting hardware. The Minimizer Insert-Style Slick Plate also comes with a five year warranty.
Get rid of grease and get your Minimizer Insert-Style Slick Plate today!
- Eliminates the need to grease 5th wheels.
- Eliminates the need to grease the upper coupler plate.
- Installs on existing Holland 5th wheels FWAL, FW31 and FW33.
- Easier trailer handling for drivers.
- A strong, self-lubricating solid polymer plate. (UHMW)
- Designed for frequent drop-and-hook applications.
- Limit down time – no need to un-hook to grease plate again.
- Increases steer tire life.
- Extend the life of your Holland 5th wheel plate.
- Helps keep your upper coupler plate protected from the elements. Keeps the metal-to-metal wear off.
- Lower priced option than buying OEM replacement pads.
- Mounts to existing holes – no drilling required. All hardware provided. Designed to replace Holland Part# RK-331-1
G.1 Minimizer LLC. warrants that polyethylene components will be free from defects in material and workmanship, including being free from rust and corrosion at the time of delivery and for a period of (5) five years.
G.2 Any Slick Plate product not mounted with SlickPlate mounting hardware will void all warranties
- What colors are the Slick Plates available in? White Only
- What is the warranty on the Slick Plate? 5 Year Warranty
- What sizes of Slick Plates do you offer? Sizes vary; the plates are designed to fit a specific top plate Make and Model. Please reference our Slick Plate flyer to find your part#.
- What is the weight of your Slick Plate? Less the 5 pounds
- Does the Slick Plate require any install? Yes, you will have to drill approximately 12 holes into your top plate. The Slick Plate itself comes with 6 recessed mounting holes to be used as a guide, the addition of two (2) steel ram bars is also required and slots are manufactured into the plate itself. Once you have installed and bolted your top plate down, you can simply use the ram bars as drilling guides to drill out your 6 additional holes for the steel ram bars. Please refer to our Minimizer Slick Plate video install on our training site. The Insert-Style Slick Plate does not require any holes to be drilled into the 5th wheel plate; they are already existing.
- Does the Slick Plate come with the hardware to install? Yes, all mounting hardware and/or steel ram bars are included with your Slick Plate.
- Do you have to tap your holes for the install? No, the bolts are threaded to receive the nut included in the hardware installation kit; simply drill the hole large enough as specified in the install instructions and insert the bolt when required.
- Will drilling of holes into my 5th wheel void any warranty? Please contact your top plate manufacture on this, most of the findings we’ve researched only come with a 1 year limited warranty on the plate itself, so if you’re beyond the initial year you should not have any issues.
- Will this cause any coupling issues when connecting my trailer to the hitch? None that we’ve found, typically kingpins are longer anyways and hooking and un-hooking should not have any issues when connecting your truck and trailer. But always verify the king pin is locks in place when the Slick Plate is installed to verify a secure coupling.
- How long does it take to install? The initial install we did, after cleaning of the plate was complete, took approximately 30 minutes. It will vary on how fast you can drill your holes and clean your top plate.
- Does the 5th wheel plate need to be cleaned prior to installing the Slick Plate? Yes, you will want to remove as much old grease as you possibly can, a nice hot pressure wash should take most of it off, upon drying proceed to install your Slick Plate.
- Will you need to continue to grease the plate after installing the Slick Plate? No, the top plate itself you will not want to apply grease, the drier you can keep it the better. You will still want to maintain a proper grease amount on all moving parts though.
- Will grease hurt the Slick Plate? No, grease itself will not, however old grease does contain your abrasive materials where the wearing of the plate can occur, always try to keep as much grease off the top plate as possible.
- What if you hook to multiple trailers? If possible, clean as much grease off prior to hooking, what is also handy is to keep a bottle of dawn dish soap readily available and prior to hooking, apply to the Slick Plate to act as a de-greaser.
- What is the load capacity of your Slick Plate? >100,000 lbs.
- How can I determine what Slick Plate I need? Find your Make and Model number on your top plate product plate. Contact your Minimizer distributor or call 800-248-3855 and speak to a sales representative to get your correct part#.
- I do not have a top plate product plate to tell what I have what can I do now? Easy – just measure you Height (overall length of plate) your Width (overall width of entire plate) and Throat (opening at rear of plate on inner to tabs). Then contact Minimizer at 800-248-3855 or visit our website at www.minimizer.com to determine what plate has your exact measurement.
- Can I buy replacement steel ram bars for my Slick Plate? Yes, the ram bars are meant to wear, and replacement kits are sold separately for each Slick Plate.
- What is the Slick Plate made out of? It is made from Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. (UHMWPE) is odorless, tasteless, and nontoxic. It is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals except oxidizing acids; has extremely low moisture absorption and a very low coefficient of friction; is self-lubricating; and is highly resistant to abrasion, in some forms being 15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel.
- Where can I purchase the Minimizer Slick Plate? At any of our Minimizer distributors, contact us at 800-248-3855 to find your nearest Minimizer distributor or visit us online at www.minimizer.com and request additional info on the Minimizer Slick Plate.
- What color is the Insert-Style Slick Plate available in? White UHMW-PE only.
- What is the warranty on the Insert-Style Slick Plate? 5 Year Warranty (most OEM replacements only come with a limited, 2 year or 200,000 mile warranty)
- What size is your Insert-Style Slick Plate? We offer one type only, which is the first aftermarket option specifically designed to work in existing Holland 5th Wheel Plates. The size is 22.18” (H) x 16.19” (W) x .25” thick.
- What is the weight of your Insert-Style Slick Plate? 4.05 lbs. with hardware for our complete set.
- What is the part# on our Insert-Style Slick Plate? Part# is 102916
- What comes with the Insert-Style Slick Plate? The plate kit contains a left and right side top insert plate, along with (20) nuts and bolts.
- Is there any drilling required to install the Insert-Style Slick Plate? No drilling is required; our replacement plates have been designed to bolt directly into your existing Holland 5th wheel plate. Recessed holes are precisely drilled into the plate itself, allowing you to remove your old worn out inserts and bolt our new Minimizer Insert-Style Slick Plate into those existing holes.
- What model of Holland 5th wheel plates will your replacement plates work with? Our Minimizer Insert-Style Slick Plate is designed to work with Holland FWAL, FW33, and FW31 top plates.
- Will this work on any other type of 5th wheel plate? No – our product was designed to be used ONLY with the certain Holland 5th wheel plates. We strongly recommend not using this with any other type of top plate not stated in our installation instructions.
- Does the Slick Plate come with the hardware to install? Yes, all mounting hardware needed to install the Insert-Style Slick Plate is provided.
- Will this cause any coupling issues when connecting my trailer to the hitch? None that we’ve found. Our replacement inserts were designed to fit your exact top plate and are the same size as your existing insert. They are no thicker or larger in any way than what was previously on your 5th wheel plate.
- How long does it take to install? That can vary depending on your skillset or the dealer you’re using. Proper preparation includes cleaning thoroughly, so depending on how long that takes your installation can vary. Please follow along to our instructions and you should have these new plates installed within 1.5 to 2 hours (estimate).
- Does the 5th wheel plate need to be cleaned prior to installing the Insert-Style Slick Plate? Yes, you will want to remove as much old grease as you possibly can. A nice, hot pressure wash should take most of it off. Upon drying, proceed to follow our installation instructions.
- Will removal of my Holland 5th wheel plate be needed to install this? Yes, in most cases, removal of your current 5th wheel plate will be required. Our installation is no different than installing Holland Inserts. In most cases, removal is required using either type of insert. Be sure to have help or a lift that can support in excess of 500 lbs. when removing your 5th wheel plate for insert installation.
- Will you need to continue to grease the plate after installing the Insert-Style Slick Plate? No, you will not want to apply grease to the top plate itself. The drier you can keep it, the better. You will still want to maintain proper lubrication on all moving parts (e.g. jaws, hinges), as well as sliders.
- Will grease hurt the Insert-Style Slick Plate? No, grease itself will not. However, old grease does contain abrasive materials, which can cause wear to the plate. Always try to keep as much grease off the top plate inserts as possible. A good putty knife is recommended so you can remove grease that may have stuck to the bottoms of trailers.
- What if you hook to multiple trailers? If possible, clean as much grease off prior to hooking. What is also handy is to keep a bottle of dish soap readily available. Then, prior to hooking, apply the dish soap to the Insert-Style Slick Plate to act as a de-greaser. It will be no different than what you were currently running.
- How can I tell if my current Holland inserts need replacing? Several ways. One or both inserts are missing. Use a straight edge or ruler and lay it across the lube plates. If any contact occurs with the 5th wheel plate itself surrounding the inserts, replacement will be required. Your current inserts are severely cracked, chipped, worn, gouged or bent, causing interference. Finally, if 20% (40 sq. inches) or more of the insert pad is missing from one or both due to normal wear or damage, it is time for replacement. If you’ve had a Holland 5th wheel plate that our Inserts are designed to work with, we highly recommend your check yours to see if replacements are required.
- What is the load capacity of your Insert-Style Slick Plate? Just like our other greaseless products, we suggest a maximum combined vehicle load of 100,000 lbs. or less.
- Can I buy just one replacement insert for my Holland Slick Plate? No, we do not recommend replacing just one insert, as wear will not be even. Our Insert-Style Slick Plates are only sold as a complete set.
- What is the Slick Plate made out of? It is made from Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW-PE), which is odorless, tasteless, and nontoxic. It is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals, except oxidizing acids. It has extremely low moisture absorption and a very low coefficient of friction. It’s self-lubricating and is highly resistant to abrasion (in some forms being 15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel).
- Will this help save me money? Yes, in most cases we’ve found, our aftermarket replacement Insert-Style Slick Plates are less expensive than other options available, and research has found that slick plates can help save you anywhere from $200-$300 annually. How, you might ask? Well, look at facts – average greasing is required at least once a week, say $2.75/week at 52 weeks per year. That in itself is roughly $143 and then take into account your time. Let’s just take an average wage of $10.25/hour with roughly 20 minutes per time over a course of the year. That’s another $175+ in labor. Any one of our Minimizer Slick Plates along with the Insert-Style Slick Plate is a solid investment and will yield a return.
- Where can I purchase the Minimizer Insert-Style Slick Plate? At any of our Minimizer distributor. Contact us at 800-248-3855 to find your nearest Minimizer distributor or visit us online at www.minimizer.com and request additional information or see our solution video on the Minimizer Insert-Style Slick Plate.